Obesity is not just a problem of excessive fat and its aesthetic implications on the human body, as many people believe but can cause associated serious health issues, like diabetes, hypertension, arthritis and cardiovascular diseases, among others.
Considered a disorder exclusive to the Western rich for a long time, obesity is now emerging as a serious health concern in developing countries like India as well.
With rapidly changing lifestyles, improper dietary habits and absence of physical activity in our lives, a large part of the Indian population is falling into the trap of lifestyle disorders – obesity being one of them. The incidence of obesity is increasing in the country, particularly in urban areas like Pune where rising incomes have increased over the past decade.
Obesity not only affects the quality of an individual’s life but has also been found to reduce the lifespan by 13-20 years. It costs the nation millions of rupees in medical expenses and lost wages due to obesity related illness.
The scientific basis to lose weight is either to restrict calorie intake by diet or burn the excess body fat by exercise and work out. The available options for this are:
- Diet and exercise: This can reduce the weight for a short term, but more than 90% of people fail to maintain the lost weight in long term and become obese again. This is due to hunger caused by a hunger hormone called Ghrelin produced from the stomach. People weighing more than 100 kg or so cannot perform any effective exercise.
- Medicines: Till date, there is no effective medication to reduce hunger or to burn the excess fat in the body.
- Liposuction: This is a cosmetic surgery to remove accumulated fat from the thigh, tummy etc to contour the body and has no health benefits. The fat will again accumulate after some time.
The weight loss surgery is a keyhole method to reduce the stomach size and suppress hunger by removing the hunger hormone producing area of the stomach. After surgery, the amount of food (calories) intake reduces and fat deposited in the body melts. Hence patients who have sleeve gastrectomy or gastric bypass operations gradually lose their excess weight and then maintain the same lifelong. The healthy food, life style, and daily exercises help to maintain a disease-free body. With modern hospital care and technology, the risks associated with these operations are negligible and the benefits far outweigh the risks.
Why Columbia Asia
- The hospital has highly skilled surgeons, multi-specialties like endocrinology, psychiatry, cardiology, support personnel and contemporary infrastructure to provide comprehensive care for obese patients
- The Operation theater is well equipped for obesity surgery
- Backup services like 64 slice CT, 1.5 T MRI, Endoscopy, Fluoroscopy. Laboratory service and round the clock ICU/ monitoring is available
- We have a bariatric support group to help patients and families
- Columbia Asia Referral Hospital - Yeshwanthpur, Bangalore
- Columbia Asia Hospital - Pune, Maharashtra
- Columbia Asia Hospital - Mysore
- Columbia Asia Hospital - Palam Vihar, Gurgaon
- Columbia Asia Hospital - Patiala, Punjab
- Columbia Asia Hospital - Hebbal, Bangalore