Columbia Asia hospital has a contemporary Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) with state of the art, advanced equipment and infrastructure to manage sick and premature newborn. The consultants are highly trained and have qualified from some of the best institutions in India and abroad. They follow internationally benchmarked protocols and practice evidence based medicine. The nurses in the NICU have been specially trained to handle newborn and provide specialised care in a compassionate manner.
What is newborn care?
When the baby is in the womb, breathing, nutrition, waste elimination and protection against infections, come from the mother. Immediately after birth the lungs, heart, kidneys, digestive system and liver and immunologic systems must start functioning independently. Some babies have difficulty transitioning, more so with the premature babies and those with birth defects or being born by a difficult delivery. Special care that is sophisticated and co-ordinated is available for managing the challenges these babies face.
What is NICU?
New born babies needing continuous monitoring and support are admitted to NICU where specially trained health care professionals are available. Sometimes, babies that need specialised nursing care and feeding support are also admitted to the NICU. Nurses with special skills are available round the clock in the NICU.
What facilities are available in the NICU?
The NICU is well equipped to handle newborn needing level 3 facilities. Equipment such as phototherapy unit, radiant warmer, cpap, ventilator, transport Incubator with inbuilt ventilator and has a well-equipped ambulance service
The parents’ role
NICU encourages parents to be involved in the care plan. The health care providers cannot replace you. They provide the medical and nursing care, while you provide the loving touch and sound that your baby needs to have, to grow out of NICU care. Parents will be encouraged to touch, talk and learn to understand the baby’s needs. As the baby progresses, you will be allowed to hold, cuddle, soothe, feed, burp, bathe, diaper and dress the little one. You will need to follow a hand wash procedure and in some cases wear a hospital gown and hospital footwear when entering the NICU. You will be asked not to touch anything except your baby.
Some risk factors that necessitate NICU admission
- Age below 16 and above 35 years
- Associated diabetes, hypertension or heart disease
- Multiple pregnancy
- Bleeding during pregnancy
- Drug or alcohol exposure
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Too little or too much of amniotic fluid
- Premature rupture of membranes
- Fetal distress/ birth asphyxia
- Abnormal presentation like breech
- Meconium stained liqor
- Cord around the neck
- Forceps or caesarean delivery
- Other birth injuries
- Baby born before 37 weeks or after 42 weeks
- Birth weight less than 2500 gms or over 4 kgs
- Small for gestational age
- Resuscitation in delivery room
- Birth defects
- Respiratory distress (rapid breathing, grunting or apnoea)
- Low blood sugar
- Need for extra oxygen or monitoring, IV or other medications
- Need for blood transfusion
- Neonatal jaundice needing phototherapy
- Columbia Asia Hospital - Whitefield, Bangalore
- Columbia Asia Hospital - Mysore
- Columbia Asia Hospital - Yeshwanthpur, Bangalore
- Columbia Asia Hospital - Pune, Maharashtra
- Columbia Asia Hospital - Hebbal, Bangalore
- Columbia Asia Hospital - Palam Vihar, Gurgaon
- Columbia Asia Hospital - Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh
- Columbia Asia Hospital - Mysore