Columbia Asia Hospital provides pain management services to both inpatients and outpatients with consultants from the department of anaesthesia. The team focuses on providing care for the pre-operative period till the patient is discharged and if necessary pain management is continued after discharge. Palliative end of life pain care for those suffering from end-stage diseases like terminal cancers is also offered.
The consultants provide patients with the best care possible with the use of technology like nerve blocks, epidural infusions and patient controlled analgesia. The care is multidisciplinary involving specialists like neurologists, psychiatrists, physiotherapists and occupational therapists.
The department specializes in obstetric pain management using continuous or patient controlled epidural analgesia during labour. They also provide pain management for patients with chronic pain due to cancer, bone, joint and neurologic disorders in adult and pediatric patients. The department of pain management provides support to various other specialities in providing care for their patients.
Treatments and Procedures
- Pharmacologic measures, such as analgesics, tricyclic antidepressants and anticonvulsants
- Physiotherapy and exercise, application of ice and/or heat, Transcutaneous Electric Nerve Stimulation (TENS)
- Psychological measures, such as biofeedback and cognitive behavioral therapy.
- Interventional procedures like epidural steroid injections, facet joint injections, neuraxial blocks, neurolytic blocks, spinal cord stimulators and intrathecal drug
- delivery system implants
- Patient-controlled analgesia (PCA)
- Patient-controlled epidural analgesia (PCEA)